Struggling to find that perfect breakfast that’s quick, full of nutrients, filling, and meets your health needs? You may think you can’t have it all, but you CAN! Especially with this hormone balancing green smoothie (assuming your hormones are a little out of whack).
Let’s face it, our current situation has made us all a little crazy?! If your hormones are unbalanced due to neglect, late nights, stress, too much together time, or worrying about health or work. Or simply this quarantine is making you crazy…now is still a great time to focus on you and get things back under control.
Low in Sugar; and Uses Natural Sugars
Many of you are on keto, Whole 30, or other restrictions to lose weight, manage autoimmune conditions, or to keep in workout condition. However, this smoothie is made with low sugar fruits (raspberries and blueberries). It also uses only half a banana, so the sugars are minimal and natural. If you devote any of your allowed carbs somewhere, this smoothie is worth it due to its other benefits. You can switch the banana for an avocado (but the taste of the smoothie won’t be the greatest).
Holistic Remedies for Balancing Hormones
I’m not a doctor. I know there are other factors involved in balancing your hormones, such as healing gut bacteria, and getting enough sleep. However, I’ve found this specific route helpful to me after my research on hormone-balancing herbs and remedies. I’ve found the money spent at the doctor to identify other issues helpful. However, the use of money to determine hormone imbalances was not my best choice of money well-spent.
Being a woman and knowing our bodies, let’s face it, we can ultimately feel when our hormones are off. My period will go from monthly on the same day to weeks late. Or I’ll have undergone extreme stress and can feel my emotions jump around. Or I’ll start breaking out like I’m 16 again. I don’t really have the time to be at the doctor constantly for normal, everyday life-related hormone fluctuations.
So, when I was 26, and had read about the hormonal-effects of dropping your birth control (I heard rumors of a “Mirena” detox); I thoroughly researched holistic remedies to put things back in balance. I was hoping for something I could carry forward into everyday life. Then, finally settled on two of the better-know alternative hormone balancers being Vitex Agnus-Castus (aka vitex berry, chaste tree berry, or chasteberry) and maca root.
Chasteberry is a remedy I read about years ago from a very popular wellness blog, Wellness Mama. While I find this smoothie helpful, I do typically pair this smoothie (daily) with a chasteberry supplement because I have found the combination to work extremely well. I use this chasteberry extract just because I tend to favor liquid remedies/tinctures over supplements when possible. Note that this herbal remedy also has rumored ties to helping reduce the symptoms of PMS, helping manage PCOS, and more! *Pregnancy disclaimer – please be careful when you balance your hormones. Properly balanced hormones could potentially increase your odds of pregnancy.
Why These Hormone Balancing Smoothie Ingredients?
- Coconut Milk – Any dairy-alternative organic milk will do! I prefer coconut due to its high amounts of healthy fatty acids, which can also assist in balancing the hormones.
- Maca – I use this maca root powder and add a teaspoon in my smoothies every day. You can slowly go up to a couple teaspoons as you get used to the taste, if you prefer. Maca does wonders for hormone balancing: learn more here and here.
- Superfood Power – I added a superfood powder to the smoothie as this is closer to a whole-foods source of vitamins and minerals than a vitamin/regular supplement. Plus, the smoothie really needed sometime chocolatey to add flavor and the cocoa one used helps balance the earthy flavor of the maca.
- Frozen Blueberries & Raspberries – It is no surprise that berries are a food that is high in antioxidants and many other benefits. These two were used due to the flavor they add, their health benefits, and their minimal sugar.
- ½ a Banana – This was used to add a small amount of sweetness to the smoothie, the flavor just doesn’t work right without it.
- Mixed Greens – A mixed greens option is best (I use the Organic Supergreen Mix from Trader Joe’s). As the healthiest type of greens overall is debated, this mix covers all your basis. Greens work wonders for pretty much any ailment and vitamin/mineral needed!
- Collagen – If there weren’t some protein in this smoothie, there’s no way I’d make it through the morning without starving. Have you looked recently at the protein powder you’ve been using? Even the “healthy” ones typically have artificial sweeteners of some sort. That’s the beauty of using a collagen powder, you get ONE healthy ingredient that’s full of protein, rumored to help with join health, skin, hair, and known in the autoimmune community by some practitioners for providing the amino acids needed to rebuild the intestinal wall + help prevent a leaky gut.
- If these hormone balancing smoothie ingredients aren’t your style, you can also find some other healthy vegan and gluten-free smoothie ingredient options here!
Hormone Balancing Green Smoothie – Tips
Combining all these ingredients for the ultimate hormone balancing green smoothie is simple, with ONE exception! Do not forget to blend all the ingredients (something high powered such as a Ninja blender helps break up the greens) except the collagen. Then add the collagen and blend for only a few more seconds just until combined. If you blend it with the rest, you will have a green smoothie full of air!
Here’s to keeping our hormones in check and regaining our sparkle together,
Hormone Balancing Green Smoothie
- Add all ingredients to a high-powered blender (I use a
Ninja blender) with the exception of the collagen.
- Blend on high for 2-3 minutes or until greens are broken up and mixed in well.
- Add collagen and blend for an additional 5-10 seconds or just until mixed.
Trying to rebalance your hormones or take other positive steps to try and get in better health? If you are thinking about going gluten free yourself (like I did to help manage my autoimmune condition), learn more about the benefits and how other people feel about going gluten free in this article with 2022 Gluten Free Statistics!