Try this paleo chicken pot pie on the days you feel completely and utterly bread-deprived!
All those health-foodies out there appear to be completely content with their paleo meals. I’ll go weeks at a time seeing amazing looking paleo food images plastered all over my Pinterest and Facebook feeds. While they look amazing and clean eating has changed my life (and the paleo autoimmune protocol was a big part of that), there still are many days when I felt nothing other than deprived.
Today is one of those days. If someone sat down right now in front of me with a huge Cinnabon, I’m not sure I’d have the willpower to turn it down. It is days like today that I need to make sure to fill up on something that reminds me of my gluten-consuming days. It’s days like today that I need comfort food. In honor of my past (before I got healthy) late night comfort food; $0.50 chicken pot pies, I am presenting you with a delicious Paleo AIP chicken pot pie! It’s perfect for the nights like these where you feel deprived. Complete with a savory crust and creamy filling, I wish you comfort, health, and one less night of deprivation this week! 😉
*On just a quick side note, this chicken pot pie is paleo AIP (autoimmune protocol compliant). If you are unfamiliar as to what this means and seem to have continued health issues, I’d highly recommend trying it for a month. It’s not usually recommended for weight loss or other health issues, but specifically for lingering autoimmune disease flare-ups. I did it for several months and it changes my life, then transitioned to a clean gluten-free diet long-term. Check out this great resource to learn more.
Enjoy! Here’s to regaining our sparkle together,
Paleo AIP Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 tablespoons organic olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 large onions chopped
- 1 bag baby carrots
- 1 bag celery diced
- 1 broccoli head chopped well
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 – 14 oz full fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot flour
- 2 cups chicken cooked and diced
- 1¼ cup organic cassava flour
- 1/3 cup organic tapioca flour
- 5 tablespoons palm shortening
- 2 tablespoons banana puree
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- In a large soup pot, add olive oil and heat slightly. Add garlic, onion, carrots, celery, and broccoli and cook (stir often) over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, coconut milk, thyme, rosemary, and salt. Continue cooking (stir often) over medium heat until vegetables are no longer crisp, about 20 minutes.
- Reduce to a simmer. Stir in arrowroot 1 Tbsp at a time until fully dissolved. Continue to stir and simmer until thickened. Mix in chicken.
- Prepare crust. Add cassava flour, tapioca starch, palm shortening, banana puree, and salt to a large mixing bowl. Use a dough cutter to combine the banana and fat into the flour mixture. Add coconut milk. Stir to form a batter.
- Break dough into two parts and roll each thin. Line pan (9”x13” baking pan or many smaller pans) with part of the dough. Pour filling in. Top with remaining dough. **For an easier option, you can also pour filling in the pan and add a thicker top layer with all the dough.**
- Bake at 350°F for 30 mins or until the crust is slightly browned.
Leave a Reply